Monday, July 19, 2010

I Can Haz Ponee

Izzy got the day off due to going two days in a row at the clinic. I think she was a little grumpy about the lack of attention until I turned her loose in the arena to play. That combined with cookies, always makes her one happy pony. Even though I didn't ride her, I am just enjoying (a ridiculous amount) the feeling of having a happy, sound(ish), sane horse who is beautiful and amazing. She's so quiet and sweet and soft and silky... ah.

We're planning a trail ride in the foothills on Friday morning and a horse show at the end of August. I'm looking forward to it.

Since Izzy had the day off, I took the opportunity to ride Cassie, Izzy's mother and my old show mare. It's the first time I've been able to get on her in quite while, since she's been off due to a crappy trim job and exacerbated by her incessant weaving since she hates not getting out to work. Silly mare.

Riding Cassie is like coming home to me. I spent so many years on her that the way she fits under me just feels right. I know her reactions and actions before she does them, and she knows I know. She's athletic, hard-working, and smart as a whip. We just bounced around and did some dressage since she's still a touch off in her right front. It was a blast. I hope to be able to get her out more often, especially since I noticed that after riding around for a while, she wasn't weaving anymore. :-)

3 comments:

  1. What is the turnout situation there? I wondered since you always seem to be letting Izzy out to romp when you get there. Weren't they working on it?

    There is nothing like getting on a trainer horse to ride now and then. You're lucky to have Cassie. She sounds like a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news about Cassie. Are you able to get her our and even do just some ground work while she is sore? Just to keep her mind busy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our turnout situation remains nil. It's on the list of things to do, but it's a really long list. I was/am hoping to offer to help out with it, but I'm finally employed again and I have family in town, so there really isn't time.

    So yes, I spend a lot of time turning Izzy out in the arena.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...