Friday, September 17, 2010

Perspective

After looking at the pictures of Izzy yesterday, I thought it would be kind of fun to look at how we've progressed.

Here's Izzy and I last summer. She was barely started under saddle (by yours truly) and I was just getting back into riding after a several year break. This is the second of our many saddles and it didn't fit very well, as evidenced by her unwillingness to go forward and her high head carriage. It's hard to see, but she is wearing her beloved fly bonnet. Even then, she HATED any bugs on her ears.
This is Izzy and I last fall, riding in saddle #3. She's obviously moving much more freely forward, but she's pretty downhill. Still, her winter coat had just started coming in and she looks gorgeous. We were about to begin the adventure that was riding in the Bubble of Doom all winter.
And here's Izzy yesterday. I'd say she's moving in more of a level balance and she's started to yield her poll just a bit. Her musculature has really started developing well (look at her neck and butt!!) and she's even more forward than before. She is making progress!

If you watch me, you'll notice that my feet are too far forward and my hands are in my lap in all three shots. Sad truth.

In other news, Izzy was fabulous this morning. All it took was about 15 minutes of mad galloping around the arena (loose), following by 10 minutes tacked up lunging in the sidereins and then a killer workout for me in which we went w/t/c both directions complete with transitions all in 2 point. OUCH. As Stephanie pointed out, there is a lot of this in my future. I also took my stirrups up a hole and plan to go up another next time I ride. The weird thing is that my stirrups felt WAY too short in the photo shoot, but when I shortened them today, I actually felt more comfortable. Crazy world, huh?

Also, I have an appointment to go out and see another barn this afternoon and I called yet another to set up an appointment... yes, I am using the phone for my pony's sake.

6 comments:

  1. What a difference a year makes. I love the way her neck has developed. The recent picture is so nice. I have to say, you have a gorgeous horse. She's definitely a stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does look very nice in the latest pics - and much more forward and willing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say, standing up for a second or two in your stirrups, sinking into your heel, will pretty much put your leg right where it belongs. So yeah, working on two point will definately fix that. Doesn't matter if you are walking or galloping.

    Raising the irons a hole or two feels strange because you are used to riding with them long. Once your leg is in the right spot and you are used to the difference in how they feel to you- you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier?

    You have both come a long way. Certainly something to feel proud about accomplishing! You have come this far in a seemingly short amount of time. Can't wait to see where you will be this time next year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice progress indeed. Izzy is starting to look really good. I do love her forward trot.

    Two point can be a killer, but it's great for establishing leg position.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two have certainly made much progress! She really has shown great progress :) I love that you have a series of pictures to show how far you have come. I will soon be right there with you in the 2 point! My poor legs are just gone, guess I'll have to soon start on finding them again. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...