Thursday, May 29, 2014

I Say Flatwork, You Say Dressage

photo via HorselessinHalifax
I think blogging about flatwork on a green horse with no pictures is beyond dull. Especially when it's a really good green horse who isn't doing anything theatrical or crazy or anything--he's just working through the learning curve and figuring out how to be the best at things like bending and trotting and responding to my leg.

photo via HorselessinHalifax
All that is out the window when I ACTUALLY HAVE PICTURES though. :-)



Per our lessons recently, we've been doing a TON of work on adjustability within the gaits. I usually do walk/halt walk transitions and throw in circles as needed until C-rage decides that he can deal with contact. Good news: the tantrums aren't severe and have gone from "an entire session" to "3-5 minutes". I can deal with that.


photo via HorselessinHalifax
Then we trot. Our biggest obstacle right now is that Courage gets a little stuck/locked up in his neck, right about where the standing martingale sits. I can work to remove that tension by doing a lot of forward and back at the trot and bending on a circle. Again, this used to take a really long time to accomplish, but as Courage learns just what it is I want him to be the best at, he's getting more and more responsive.

A big part of this is just taking my time and letting his body develop a new default and muscling. This whole concept is in direct opposition to his years on the track, so I don't get angry or flustered--I just set him up to succeed, day after day after day.

photo via HorselessinHalifax
It's the same in the canter. In order to jump well, I need him to understand (and obey) forward from my leg. NOW. I also need him to come back. S has had us play with lengthening down the long sides and then a small, collected circle at the ends of the arena. What I really love about this exercise (and the many, many repetitions) is that the small circle itself serves to collect the horse--I just have to keep him active and straight.



photo via HorselessinHalifax
And it's coming together. I don't see huge incremental leaps, but I'm getting consistent, steady improvement. When these pictures were taken, it was the first time ever that Courage gave up the brace in his neck at the shortened canter and really made like a ten meter circle. He's getting it.

It just takes lots of flat work.

So much flatwork.

ALL THE FLATWORK.

17 comments:

  1. So good for me to read this right now. Your consistency with Courage and his clear improvement is a healthy reminder that I need to be more mindful about flatwork. It can't all be jumping and hacks around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! I love the last photo - classic photobomb! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's startin to get his fancy pants on! DO WORK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that lengthening exercise, it's one of my staples. He looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I just set him up to succeed, day after day after day"


    Wow. That really struck me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courage is the best at all the things :) You guys look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading about flatwork since that's all I do, haha! Western girl in an english world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely understand what you mean about their body developing a new default and muscling compared to how they use themselves at the track. He looks great! I think you're doing the right thing by letting him use himself and develope the frame you want through the exercises. So many people try to force the issue, which doesn't usually turn out well with OTTBs. You guys look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. bending...is the sister of flatwork lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait for our ring to be finished so I can truly work on flat work. While it's fun to work in a giant 28 acre field, it's hard to work on straightness and geometry! The incremental change is what I live for. I am sure my posts are boring to most, but it's all the little things that are coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flat is so important....but I want to jump all the jumps! You guys look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have the ideal mindset for bringing up a green horse, I think. He's going to/probably already is benefitting immensely from it. Also, thanks for making my brain yell "FLATWORK!" "DRESSAGE!" "FLATWORK!" "DRESSAGE!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. flatwork, flatwork, flatwork. It must be working, he looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are living in a parallel universe. The 10m circle is my best friend right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You guys look great! You have brought him such a long way from how he was straight off the track. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...