Wednesday, November 19, 2014

New Horizons

If you keep up with my facebook or instagram, you've probably noticed all the cute snow pictures lately. I mean, how could anyone resist:
Lewis the Corgi!

Chaucer the beagle!

Chekov the bonus dog! (Thanks Jess!)

it isn't even sort of melty
There are even some cute Courage pics flying around (as if there ever weren't).

In case it wasn't clear--I don't live in a "winter" place. It is a totally freak thing that we got 8 inches of snow in mid-November and then the temps dropped below zero. It should still be riding weather for at least another few weeks.

But it's not.

And I'm shutting down on a level I haven't done before. I'm totally reconciled to the idea of taking month or six weeks off in the winter, but the idea of not riding until February or March makes me die on the inside, and that's the way it goes in winters like this.



Happy Holidays since it's apparently that time of year here
I'm sure you cold weather folks think I'm a wuss, but when the overnight temps are single digits and the day time highs are mid twenties and we're not going to see the arena again until February (at the earliest), well, I just can't do it. There is nothing in me that even wants to.

I don't know if I'm older or burned out from the last two incredibly horrible winters or what, but something in me just snapped last weekend.

I called up the riding instructor I grew up with who now has a lovely facility that's not too far from my house (but in the opposite direction of my current barn) and an indoor arena. She had one spot left and I snagged it.




SHARK FACE
I have really mixed emotions. I absolutely love our barn and the people are second to none. I will definitely miss it. That said, I'm going from one good place to another--the BO at the new barn was my second mom growing up and a dressage instructor, so Courage and I will take some lessons and ride inside and while it's still completely frigid, at least I'll get to keep progressing.

Deep breath.

I'm half tempted to start a countdown to the indoor.

30 comments:

  1. Probably a great move for you guys. You were just starting to click, and there's a lot to be said about taking advantage of those moments when they come along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What she said! That's exciting you get to keep training all year (says the CA lady)

      Delete
  2. It's so much nicer to have an indoor...I think you'll be happy with your call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pay what I pay in order to have access to an indoor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd pay to have access to an indoor in a heart beat - good move! (the best at making shark faces - so cute)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I lived anywhere where it snowed a lot (or rained a lot) in the winter, I would DEFINITELY spring for an indoor. Or, well, a covered arena, they don't have indoors don't here lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, not riding for several months is just not okay! Glad the opportunity presented itself right when you needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Change can be scary but this sounds like a good move. Here's to new (warmer and less snowy) adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I already have access to an indoor and I am totally unmotivated by this weather! But I agree, I don't know how you can do it without one. Hope the move is a great thing for you both

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay indoor! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a great move. I couldn't imagine not being able to ride all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You cannot put a price on having access to an indoor. Good luck with the move! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know how I ever used to survive winters without an indoor. They seem like a necessity now! I'm sure you and Courage will really benefit from working steadily through the rest of they year. Indoors, I luff you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would feel not bad about this at all. I went from a flooded, super wet winter with no indoor and most riding days cancelled to a beautiful new facility with an indoor and I couldn't be happier. I was just lucky that my whole barn family moved with me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That shark face tho

    I am INSANELY jealous of you! I wish there were spots open in my area that I could afford with indoors. I'm debating giving the horse 6 weeks off totally to chill, or try and squeeze in rides on days that aren't too brutal. Really missing my Missouri indoor right about now.
    Thatll be awesome to continue your riding with the

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't imagine not having an indoor, and you're much farther north than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in Arizona and one of my requirements was a place that at least has a covered arena. Moving to an indoor in Idaho is completely justified :) Plus, you've made such big steps with Courage by taking your time, it would be hard to stop just as things are really coming together. I hope that you have a much better winter his way :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. sounds like a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't blame you at all! It would suck to leave your friends, but having an indoor would totally make up for it. If I had the money I would be tempted to board my horse just to have access to an indoor lol. Enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I have been LOVING all the snow pictures. You have some of the most adorable dogs (and horse) ever!

      Delete
  19. INDOORS for the win! You'll have fun :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't blame you! I'm jealous....I'll be riding in the snow lol. Best of luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not going to lie, my indoor is amazing and I don't know how I could ever live with out one again...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Almost missed this, the indoors at my place are my saviour as it gets dark at 5 and i don't get to the barn till after 7pm. Indoors mean I can ride!!!
    Hope all goes well with the move

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...