Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The New Normal

My life feels like a twilight zone. 

Drying from a good rinse
I'm not riding, not prepping for anything. I'm not hanging out at a show barn 7 days a week and I haven't worn stretchy pants since... Wednesday last week? Cuna, in keeping with his reputation as "the easiest horse in the world" is adjusting quite well to the new place without causing any drama. The on-site owner isn't horsey, so he doesn't feed into my would-be obsessiveness. 

Instead, Cuna is just a horse living in a field. He's happy. He has food, friends, and water. He does love having me come out and scratch his itchy spots, groom him, and put fly spray on, but that's our relationship right now. That plus cookies.

I'd be completely crazy, but Redheadlins is keeping me entertained at the track. I do love petting shiny horses and watching them go fast. I'm back to the show barn for some work this week and maybe I'll get to ride a few.

The best view
Honestly, I haven't hit the part where I'm dying for a ride yet. Right now, the only ride I want is this one:

These cool summer mornings are making me crave our long solo rides in the hills, exploring new trails and galloping ridge lines. I miss knowing I'm on the best horse in the world and that he'll take care of me no matter what. 

I miss seeing the world through his red ears.  




So good at cuddling
This is a phase and things will change sooner or later, but I don't know what to make of it. I'm letting the stress and tension ebb away. I'm trying new things. I'm working out. I'm sitting on the floor and cuddling with my little beagle without worrying too much about the future. Cuna is where he needs to be right now. 





10 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, the only ride I really truly crave is the one I'll never have again in the waking world. It's only when I close my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just here, reading and understanding. I can also offer picture-taking opportunities if you want. *grin*

    In all seriousness, Cuna will heal. He knows you love him, and you know he loves you, crankypants horse though he might pretend to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best time for bonding... we all go through this... its just horses. Doesnt matter what horse you own you go through this, and as you watch everyone around you progress just know that they have gone through it too, or are, or are going too. Horses will be horses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's good to take a break, even if you don't feel like you need. You and Cuna will both heal. I would imagine you've been very stressed which will hopefully lift with some downtime. As others have said, keep bonding, he will come through this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time crawls when you are "in the moment" but looking back on it always makes it feel fast. That is how it was for me when I was living on the other side of the world. Keeping busy, doing new things and spending time with your boy will help it go by faster. Before you know it this season will pass and a new hopefully better one will begin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A new routine is hard.. hoping you can find other horsey things to fill your time while Cuna is on vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. :( You will both adjust to this new routine and better things will be in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is peace in knowing your horse is content, even if you can't ride him. Just being with him is good for your soul.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...