Tuesday, July 29, 2014

When Things Don't Go According to Plan

Not like poles. Poles are pretty freaking linear.
Horse training is not a linear process.

Horse training is not a linear process.

Horse training is not a linear process.

Horse training is not a linear process.

Horse training is not a linear process.

I think I need that tattooed on something I look at on a regular basis. Not my forehead, because who sees that anyways?

Look at us floating through trot poles
Sigh. I wrote up this bubbly happy training post about how Courage is going really well on the flat and I can feel progress every ride and we can trot and canter through lines of poles and jump single fences and all is well. 

And then I set up a perfectly logical trot in grid. 4 poles, 9' to a crossrail, 18' to a little vertical, 9' to a placing poles. Or thereabouts. 





The best at launching over placing poles.
And yeah, epic fail. In case you doubted his scope, I can assure you that my little man is capable of clearing both an 18" vertical and the placing pole set after it in a single bound. Multiple times in a row. 

Since I wasn't doubting his scope at all (let's face it people, the horse hasn't even had to try yet), I was not thrilled. Especially since I couldn't really make it better. We knocked the vertical down to poles and got the back side slightly more combobulated, but it was never what you'd call good and his brain was perilously close to just fleeing the scene altogether.

No, I don't know why this placing pole is ok.
So we finished up with something else and called it a day. 

I've pretty well been in a funk since then, despite two days off and a pretty kickass ride (with no poles) on Monday. 

Don't misunderstand me here--I'm not mad at Courage or blaming him or even upset with our program (such as it is). I know it's green horse stuff. I know we'll work through it (or not. And then just never do grids, which I guess isn't the end of the world either. It's not like we're aiming to be competitive grid jumpers). 

I have wanted these so so long. Finally mine, argyle polos.
I know all that. I'm just frustrated right now.

I tried making myself feel better by playing with racehorses, but I just got hit in the face so hard that I couldn't see straight. 

So then I thought I'd try retail therapy. 

That helped a little.











Making the bitching wait time worth it
Then this happened... I think I feel a lot better now. 

So I don't know where I'm at. My inner traditionalist screams that it is impossible to have a jumper who can't do grids, which are the very foundation all of decent jumper training. 

My modernist side reminds me that we must tailor the training to the horse, not the horse to the training. 

My rational brain keeps chanting "NOT A LINEAR PROCESS" and whatever's left is like "STFU I GOT A DAMN COOKIE MONSTER BONNET." 

28 comments:

  1. HORSE TRAINING IS NOT A LINEAR PROCESS! I need that tattooed on myself as well. Don't stress, Courage will eventually get the grid thing to click in his little brain! Keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe you need to jump grids to be a successful jumper. I also don't believe Courage will never be able to jump grids. Maybe break it down into sections before putting it all together? Also - the argyle polos - OMG! I need a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give yourselves a break. One ride where he doesn't "get it" isn't a big deal. Some of the best advice I've ever gotten was, don't assume you can start off where you left off the day before... start with the simplest things and build up, every time, so that he understands what his job is. Courage tries his heart out for you... give him time to "get it" and be confident in himself and in you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is waaaaaay easier said than done, but try not to dwell and stress. You said it in your post: Courage is still a greenie deep down, and things take time (ok, how cliche is that?). You and Courage are an AMAZING team and every horse has its kryptonite: maybe grids are just Courage's kryptonite. Try to relax and remember that you have the best little man that tries his heart out every day, and focus on the good stuff :) Also, I think that having competitive grid jumping as a thing would be INSANE.

    PS, your IG convinced me to buy those argyle polos. Not joking...

    Buy all the things!! Retail therapy FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, please tell me where the amazing argyle polos came from? I don't even like to use polos and I would rock those...

    I agree with the comment above about presenting the grid to him in pieces first, they can be overwhelming and confusing to look at all at once. Courage is a smart boy with plenty of ability, no reason to worry about his future as a jumper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Generally, I'm not drawn to argyle, but those are smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude. My 2nd level dressage horse forgets how to turn left on the regular.

    Don't feel too bad. Training is overrated. Take every day as it comes and help your horse with what he needs help with that day. Above it all, don't take it personally.

    Now ... to go try to follow my own damn advice. ;) (Btw. OMFG! COOKIE MONSTER BONNET!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well... Miles and I suck at gymnastics [which is like, the easier version of grids cause there aren't as many poles] and he jumps just fine. So maybe not all is lost if grids aren't Courage's strong suit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first grid I ever faced Promise with...she definitely took as an oxer without even trying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you. Two steps forward, 10 steps back is BLSHT. But tricky young horses make us learn. On days when I'm like "I just want to be an eventer and gallop through the course like a bad ass" my horse is all like "NO BITCH! Now step up and help me be a great horse before I dump you in the dirt!" Sigh...I love my horse, I love my horse...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Retail therapy always helps. FWIW some horses just have to start reaaaaaally basic with grids and slowly add in the different elements. That's what you get for having an overachiever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely not a linear process. For me, I only do grids and gymnastics when I'm in a lesson with a professional. It's not something me and my horse are naturally good at and I feel we're best set up for success when my trainer is there to adjust and help out every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the polos & Cookie Monster bonnet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for green baby horses!

    Love the cookie monster bonnet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eh, I wouldn't stress out so much about the grid not going right... Courage is just a baby - he is still learning. Don't tell yourself you can't do grids - keep practicing and keep trying. Practice makes progress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should be able to do grids...do you have someone who can come out and help you out a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dude. I hear you loud and clear - that should be embroidered on something (Horse training is not a linear process).

    Also my traditionalist and modernist sides need to get their shit together and simply decide what is best for each situation in real time, without me having to think. Ugh. Learning AND training is not linear. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think a landing pole after a trotting jump is 9' and after a canter jump it is 10' - 11'.

    If he's having trouble with the placing pole after the canter jump, start out with one after the trot jump when he has less "WEEEE!" Then add the second crossrail. Then add the second landing pole. Or enjoy your ridiculously athletic pegasus.

    I wish I had someone to lift poles for me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its always hard to get out of the funk. I feel like I live there on a constant basis. Its just haaaaaard. Keep at it love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. If it makes you feel any better Poppy does not do landing poles and IMO is a very successful show pony. She does not like them and will always clear both the jump and the pole. My trainer and I decided that it just is not worth risking her breaking something should she land on it. I think she has done a good job learning to do her job without them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. M's four star horse couldn't handle grids. It'll be a'ight. And sometimes they decide what the stride is (or isn't, in this case) and commit to that and there isn't a lot you can do that day. I so would not let this be the thing I worried about.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd wait to try again until you're in a lesson where you have some helping hands build the grid progressively. Hawley is the absolute best in my experience at teaching "footwork" via grids and ground poles, which I am sure you saw in her clinic! It's so important to school so your horse can answer the questions that will be asked of him as you move up the levels in eventing. Footwork is super fun, but sometimes it's real ugly before it gets pretty and worked out...have ze patience :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG, I love you! You had me damn near fetal with laughter at several points in this post. Thank you for that. Been there done that. My kids' OTTB is like "And jump and jump and jump -WTF retreat retreat retreat!!!" when we ask him to do grids. We have to do 4 cavaletti one day, then a placing pole and an x the next, and add elements a pole at at time or else he gets fried.
    And where did you get that bonnet???? THE BEST!! And the polos?? LOVE THEM! Retail therapy for ponies is the only kind of retail therapy I like.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha at least you have a sense of humor about it! If it makes you feel better the Dude did that just last fall in a lesson except it was the 9' placing pole in front if the jump and a 2'11" oxer with two very irritated, "why the hell did you just make jump that ridiculous obstacle you ignorant human?" bucks after. Complete fail. Unless you count the sheer amusement of the onlookers as a success.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Maybe you can have a few more lesson days with a trainer with grids? Keep it simple when on your own? Grids are hard on greenies, and eyes on the ground really helps, plus ya know time and experience. The more solid groundwork and solo/ line jumps you have under your belt the more that cutie will put it all together.

    You've already brought him so far along don't forget the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Breathe and rock the cookie monster bonnet. My OTTB one day decided he could absolutely not jump a 30cm cross. (We had done 1.20m before this). As in, he COULD NOT. He would run up to it and stand over it and then tremble. Eventually, he deer leaped (and I watched my life flash before my eyes) and we called it a day.
    The next day we jumped the cross-rail with no issues as part of our warmup and have not had that issue again.
    You might just find that C-rage wakes up and remembers how to jump grids properly next time!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't grids without a trainer or experienced rider with me, since we always need to tweak something and getting off and on breaks the mojo. You did the right thing by working on something else before his brain melted. It'll come along. And you're allowed to be frustrated. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...