Monday, July 27, 2015

Two Years of Courage

Two years ago today, this little man hopped off a trailer, got stuck in a dry lot, lost a shoe, and launched me into the wide-eyed world of "fresh OT TBs".
July 2013

I wanted him because of that amazing brain of his, and that's what we've been banking on all along. I have to laugh at some of our adventures lately:
July 2014

  • A horse got loose in the arena with us. The horse galloped mach ten around the arena with a lunge line flying behind him, then did a tiny circle around us, then trotted around and touched noses with Courage, while Courage just stood on the buckle and watched the show.
  • I brought a friend out to ride. We threw on western tack and Courage proceeded to play trail horse all around the property (and under a tent) without putting a single hoof wrong. 
  • While explaining some training concepts for greener horses to a new horse owner, Courage was the absolute perfect model both on the ground and under saddle. Polite, interested, adorable, relaxed. Didn't even care when the green horse had a meltdown right next to him. 
July 2014
He's come a long ways, to be sure. We wouldn't be here without all the help we've had along the way. Redheadlins and Alyssa have been instrumental, as have other non-blogging friends. 
July 2015
This year has been absolutely unforgettable, with the lowest lows of me literally being a half inch away from selling him (and writing up a proper sales ad, right Lauren?) and the highest highs of beating other horses at a real dressage show (WOOT).
July 2015
Some days are maddening and some days are amazing, but I'm coming to realize that I really do have the right horse for me. He's a sensitive stoic, like me. He's strong willed and confident, like me. He's goofy and ridiculous, like me. I will admit to being slightly jealous of his self image (dear god. body positivity doesn't even begin to capture it). 

The things about him that make me the most crazy are almost always the same things I dislike about myself. Getting mad at him doesn't fix them--taking a deep breath and thinking through the situation does. 

So here's to our first two years together and hopefully many many more to come!
meant to be

20 comments:

  1. I love this!! And I totally understand being cosmically punished by a horse who is Just Like You. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Happy Anniversary you two! He looks so good, wanna come teach my Off the Track Giraffe to Dressage? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy two years! What a great post! You guys make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy 2 years! your victories and successes have all been hard fought, but it's really amazing how far you've brought him along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on two years! You guys have been through so much already and I can't wait to see where you are in another two years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw!! Happy Couragiversary!!! I'm so glad you kept him. He really does seem perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Happy two years. I hope you have as many years (and more) together that Mikey and I have had. "Sensitive stoic"- this is my favorite descriptor and I'm stealing it. Mikey is the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet! Happy 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 2 Years! You guys are great together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Horsey body positivity...I love it! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Year two on the books! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 2 Years to your super handsome little bay dude!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy two years to you and that hunky dude of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy, happy, HAPPY horsiversary Aimee!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...