Friday, August 28, 2015

Finding Our Way. Together.

cutest thing you've seen all day?
Courage and I have had our ups and downs, as I've attempted to document here. I'm not kidding when I say I was one missed trailer ride away from sending him out to be sold this spring. I was tired of his shenanigans and awfulness and I was ready to be done.

But there was a critical miscommunication, Courage didn't leave, and the longer we're together, the more I realize we're right for each other.

I was watching videos of us the other day, and I saw a striking comparison. Here's Courage and I a year ago. This is an fairly standard training day.


It's fine for where we were at and there's nothing terribly wrong with it.

But here's Courage and I in a lesson last week. Again, fairly standard training day for where we're at right now:

gettin' buzzed
He doesn't even look like the same horse to me. Instead of going upside down and sort of bouncing off the bit, he's learning to go correctly and trust the contact.

We obviously have a long way to go, but I'm really excited about where we're at and how much we've changed.

It's not just the material gains I'm excited about either. The other day, I sat on Courage with the reins dropped on his neck while an advanced dressage horse did a lengthen canter right next to us, and I didn't even pick up the reins.

It's not because I'm stupid. It's because I know him and we're starting to trust each other.

 To us, that's the most important thing.

15 comments:

  1. Love this. Proud of you for staying true to yourself, sticking with Courage and pushing through! He's a beautiful horse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely a huge difference between these videos. i recently went back to look at old videos too and was surprised at the difference. definitely always reassuring to know that progress is happening !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an awesome lesson. Even that lesson compared to the last one I was at is such a gain. I love watching you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such progress! although his jumping is super cute in the first video ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dressage will do that for you. There's a reason George Morris warms his big jumpers up with dressage movements. It sure has made Mochs do a 180.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think everyone has those moments where you second guess yourself to death and start thinking maybe this isn't right. I know I certainly have had many of those moments with Alex, but I'm stubborn, so I've stuck with it and little by little he's becoming the horse I knew he would. It hasn't been and isn't easy, but it's worth it! New video is fantabulous btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you guys look amazing!! What a difference a year makes! It's so fun to look back on old videos and see tangible progress like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this!!! So happy for you and Courage! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm so glad you guys have found your rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Such a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys have come a long way and get better and better as time goes on. I love the connection you two are building together. It's absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes. Loooooving this. That initial moment of retraining is SO HARD with the smart and stubborn ones. I won't lie, you might have it again later. But it feels so good when you get to that point where you understand each other! After all, it took me almost a whole year to teach Pig about real contact. Bleh. An awful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly not the most encouraging thing I've heard all day, but probably spot on. ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...