Thursday, February 22, 2018

Mares are the Worst

I swore off all mares and especially black mares after the Hellmare. Mares were supposed to be loyal and personable and perhaps hormonal. I mean, I guess you could say she was personable in that she definitely hated me and made every day hell.

But now I have a black Zoebird mare.

What's better than a champion dressage baby mare? 
ZB <3
Having that same baby mare be the sort of superstar that you can also hop on bareback and toodle around on because you're working late and it's dark and cold and saddles are the worst, man.

I've never had a horse like her.

Now I wonder how I ever lived without her.
and how it took me this long to get her a nameplate
I tell myself that toodling is to keep her brain fresh and give her developing body a rest, but it's as much for me as it is for her. I love sitting on her comfy back and just letting all the tension from the day melt away. I can't get over her wide-eyed, enthusiastic enjoyment of the world around her.
O HAI ZB
We've only known each other seven months now, but time loses a lot of meaning when you just fit together. I'm excited for our plans this year. I love showing up at the barn every day. It melts my (cold black tiny) heart when she whinnies at me as I walk up.
#messyhairdontcare
She's everything the Hellmare never was.

I've never been so happy to eat my words.

16 comments:

  1. This post gave me all the feelings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 💜💜💜💜💜 damn I got allergies. So glad you got ZB

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good mare is AMAZING. I am glad you got the horse that makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you that you are enjoying her so much. 💗

    ReplyDelete
  5. <3 I'm so glad this girl is in your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww all the feels. ZB is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All horses should be like her :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always felt like people who don't like mares just haven't met the right one yet -- glad ZB is the right one for you 😍

    ReplyDelete
  9. <3 I love this. I agree with DressageBarbie, when you really bond with a mare, there is nothing else like it. I commented to someone at the barn the other day that I would rather own a mare (I really feel they need their own person), and lesson on a gelding (I find them more willing to work even without that bond).

    It is such an amazing relationship and if they love and respect you, they will work so hard for you. I wouldn't have traded Promise for the world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. " time loses a lot of meaning when you just fit together" -- THIS. Love this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww! This is how I feel with Gwyn, my Goober Mare. She and I just are and it's the best feeling. I'd hazard it's even better than the bond I had with my first ever heart horse, a gelding. He was chill and definitely chose me, but my mare takes -care- of me in a way he never did. And it's transferred to my kids as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a lot of fun to have one you really just... click with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you have her! Your happiness is evident in everything you write.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finding your heart horse is indescribable. It's something you feel. So glad you're having that together!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...