Saturday, April 24, 2010

Good News in Small Pieces

I'm trying to focus on the small positives right now. My grandma is in the hospital not doing well, so I apologize for the more somber attitude of late.

I did ride yesterday morning. It's finally dry enough to jump, so I set the scary plank jump and a little vertical with a striped pole and (get this) a teeny crossrail in front. That's right folks. Our first ever oxer. Izzy warmed up really nicely. I did a bunch of work with her in figure eights, focusing and on staying balanced through turns and changing bend. We even did canter circles with just a couple trot strides to change leads. (Jumper flying changes, here we come).

After popping over the vertical both directions a few times, I sent Izzy to the oxer. Every other time I've sent her to a new and scary looking jump, she's needed to stop and have a look. I know this, so I confess I gave her a crappy ride to it. I didn't even really have my leg on. I was thinking "be supportive" but I wasn't riding it.

Izzy came up, hesitated, then sort of stepped through it. I felt so bad! She totally would have jumped it on the first try if I'd given her a chance. Bad Sprinkler! I hopped off to reset it and then we trotted over it a couple times. She was pretty proud of herself, and I was too.

I didn't have time to ride today. It's just as well. I'm exhausted. Tomorrow should be better, I hope. At least I'll be able to sneak a ride in during the morning before heading back to the hospital.

I hope all is well with you guys. I'm a bit behind on everyone's blogs.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your grandmother. I'm glad you had a good ride over Izzy's first oxer, though! Riding has always been my outlet in stressful times. I find that when I'm riding the rest of the world just disappears. Hang in there, it will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be sending good thoughts for your grandmother.

    Yay for oxer success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sorry to hear about your grandmother - thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that... I'm sending all positive thoughts your way! Tell your grandmother you love her. I always told my grandpa, but when he died, suddenly in his sleep, I hadn't told him since Christmas (he died on Jan. 23) and I felt bad about it, but at least he knew we all loved him with all our hearts. We still miss him very much and probably always will! We never forget the people who have marked our lives the way our grandparents did.

    I'm lucky, I still have both of my grandmas! but only one grandpa left :(
    Best of luck with all the challenges, we are all with you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...