Tuesday, May 23, 2017

On Falling Short

Kind of a grim topic today, so I'll try to distract you with beautiful photos of Courage as a western horse. 
together
My excellent photographer friend took these gorgeous shots while we played western horse on Saturday. She was supposed to come back out Monday and do some fun dressage pictures because girlfriend freaking rules the world of trotting pictures with an iron fist.

But I rode Courage Sunday just to see how he'd go, now that he's injected and X-rayed and acupunctured and rested.

Some parts of that ride were phenomenal--he turned right like a champion. He was a whole different horse in the contact. His body was adjustable. His back didn't disappear underneath me.

And no matter what I did, his stride was two inches long and he freaked out when I tried to get it any longer.

I could try to play it cool and be like "yeah totes got off and made a plan and was 100% professional about it", but that would be a straight-up lie.

I resisted the urge to immediately cry or call the vet, but I really wanted to both simultaneously while sitting in the parking lot drinking a sad beer. (Possibly did buy 5 pizzas on the way home, but who's counting?)
he's something special to me
It kills me that this little guy is trying so damn hard to do the right thing and he's still hurting.

I know intellectually that there are still options on the table. All this means is that what we've done so far isn't enough.

I know I'm working with a good team and have a great support system. I'm even lucky enough to be in a place where I can throw money at this (not like I'm shelling out for lessons or shows or clinics, right?)
such class
The harsh reality of the situation keeps smacking me in the face.

Courage is 12, which is not old, but it's too young to retire. I can't in good conscience push him through what I know is a pain response. The idea of just mucking around not riding for the next decade makes me want to die inside.

Hopefully the wear and tear on his body hasn't progressed beyond where we can get him comfortable.

Hopefully we can find a way to manage it. Hopefully we have a plan. Hopefully things will stabilize and we have many years of happy adventuring yet to go.
that neck tho
That doesn't make the present easy.

56 comments:

  1. I hope you can get this figured out. I feel your pain. I am going through the very same thing with my 3 year old... he has not even started work yet! So frustrating. Hang in there. Thinking about you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah every time I think a different horse is the answer, I remember this.

      Delete
  2. Girl, I'm with you. My 12 year old is the same exact way and he is not in the place where retirement would be a healthy thing for him. Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, that sucks. On the bright side, those pictures are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh I'm so sorry, this sucks. No way around it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that just sucks. Fingers crossed it's something you and your team can figure out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! I know you have a solid team in place to help C and you're working your way through the possibilities. Hopefully you find the answer soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Question - is he short-strided on the lunge line too, or only under saddle?

    All I can say is that I have been there and I know how painful and discouraging it can be and you can totally buy 5 pizzas and all the beer you want. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hugs and support girl. and maybe a couple pizzas too. there are often so few easy answers with horses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Virtual hugs (you know the best kind because they don't actually involve people)

    I'll keep my fingers crossed that you guys are able to isolate and manage the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this sounds crazy, but if you should come across a communicator... I was actually really helped out by one once. My communicator just showed up in our town ... LOL maybe you contact them psychically? But if you hear of someone like this, consider giving it a try. There are frauds, but there are also legit animal communicators who can really help pinpoint what hurts. It no small wonder I posted Anonymously, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I've considered it. Not a priority at the moment, but you never know.

      Delete
  11. No advice from me- I know that you have a great team in place. Hugs to you for this horrible experience. I hope that you can find a way to get him comfortable

    ReplyDelete
  12. No advice just hugs. I know you're doing everything in your power to get Courage feeling his best and I know whatever happens you have his best interests first. You're a good horse mom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fingers crossed he just needs a little more time and improves some more. Sending tons of good wishes and hopes for a long and happy riding future together :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmph. This is unfortunate. Thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  15. He does look super handsome in his cowboy tack that's for sure ♡ Sending good thoughts from me and Mr. B - You're doing your best and an answer will come, I'm sure of it. But we're all rooting for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I send to you 5 bottles of wine to go with the pizza. And some hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. He looks amazing. So there's that. :/ sorry good pain free thoughts headed your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty is as pretty does, which is pretty damn well in his case.

      Delete
  18. Have we done the ulcer routine yet?

    Also, much sympathy and also pizzas for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm pizza. I will give myself ulcers with all the coffee+pizza I have going on.

      Delete
  19. I think you just haven't found "it" yet. Whatever it is that's hurting him. Once you finally find it, you an treat it and get back to work. Have you checked him for kissing spine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've found a lot of things, haha. High mileage racehorse=a lot of jewelry to play with. Now we're figuring out how to manage that.

      Delete
  20. Sending hugs and good vibes your way. <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. So so sorry you are going through this. I know firsthand your frustration/heartbreak/anger/hope. In the absence of a magical wand, I'd say pizza is a totally acceptable alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would trade the pizza for a magic wand if you know any fairies in the market.

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. Bright side: there was a sale on vodka.

      Delete
    2. Now you just need cake to go with your vodka and pizza and you'll have covered all the bases.

      Delete
  23. Ah, that sucks.... I really hope there's a solution for you that doesn't require too much down time and Courage will be back to his fancy self. =-(

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ice cream and cupcakes. Similar struggle here, I feel your pain. We'll get through it because that's what we do.
    But until then, I'm buying more cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ugh, I'm sorry. This is just crummy all the way around. I'm glad you have more options to try and I hope you'll find whatever he needs to feel better. In the meantime, keep dressing him for photo shoots, because that Courage is so hot right now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Only 5 pizzas? Way to show restraint. I'm really sorry. Hard to think of what to say, cause I know how much this sucks...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you think a rum cake would make it 2,000 miles from my house to yours? Because I really think that might help. <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...