Monday, April 9, 2018

How to Make the Perfect Ammy Horse

Zoebird turns five this month. (I'm committed to calling her 4 until her actual birthday. For reasons.) 
R NOT FUNNY MUM

She's a big lady. She isn't particularly tall, but she's wide and strong and sturdy. 
and she looks so fetch in purple
She's in training twice a week, where my trainer puts w/t/c dressage basics on her for 20-30 minutes a ride. If they a miss a day or a week, it's not a big deal. It is important to me that ZB learn to be a solid equine citizen. It is not important that we hit a competitive goal this year. 

I'm at the barn at least four days a week outside of the trainer rides. I try to be sure Zoe has a solid day a week to be a horse with no particular expectations. 
hand grazing ftw
1-2 times a week, I try to get on and work on something productive and related to dressage. 
clearly i need lessons
Outside of that, I just don't worry about it. ZB is a big lady. She's growing. By all accounts, she has another couple years of growing to go. Her body is big, but her joints haven't closed. 
PRANCIN OVER TARP
We spend a lot of time wandering around outside the arena. Learning to be completely relaxed in arena traffic. Playing with tarps and other fun toys and expanding her natural intelligence and curiosity. 
BARREL HORSE
I want to have a solid show horse eventually, but I have years to do that. Right now, I'm focused on developing my very cool baby mare into the fun, safe partner I've always wanted. 
HELPIN MUM GET HELMUT
That looks different from day to day. Not gonna lie, it completely melted my icy black heart when a special little girl came to the barn and Zoe just put her head down and closed her eyes and let her forelock get braided. 
JUS BEIN DISNEY HORSE
I'm in no hurry. Every day is fun. I look forward to just spending time with ZB and it doesn't even matter to me what we're doing. 
WANT SMOOSH SHORTY DOG
We have time. 

18 comments:

  1. You know you've got a really special one when they're like that with kids. <3

    Go zoebird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you on this plan Aimee! I love hearing how much fun you're having with Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the same place! Yeah, I have goals and stuff, but it's more important to be right now to have fun and build a slow, correct relationship with my baby horse.

    I'm also committed to calling Niko only 4 until his birthday in July ;-) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People keep wanting me to say she's coming 5 and I'm just like BACK OFF OK.

      Delete
  4. I’m with you on the birthdays… my horse doesn’t turn 15 until the 24th so I’m enjoying the last couple of weeks of him being 14! They grow up so fast… ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy almost birthday ZB! My perfect unicorn has a b-day this month too! (I do too, but they're less exciting the closer I get to 40.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha yes I think I've reached the age where you're just like "uh, I am old and that is all you need to know".

      I just wish they'd stop carding me. Isn't the one advantage to being old not getting carded?

      Delete
  6. sounds like you've got a great approach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is what I want in my next horse... assuming I ever feel like horsing again. LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helping my friend at the barn with her pony, it's a similar plan. Sure we got ot shows when we can, but there's no rush. She's only 4 and has a long life ahead of her. We're still trying to figure out what the babygirl likes to do the most.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...