Thursday, January 15, 2015

Face Off: Rambo Micklem vs PS of Sweden High Jump Bridle


The 900facebookpony already did a comprehensive write up of the PS of Sweden High Jump bridle. If you're at all curious, read it. This really is one of the coolest bridles I've been around and the thoughtful details are just incredible. Of course most people, including myself, draw an immediate comparison to the Rambo Micklem bridle, which I reviewed here.

So instead of just a straight review of this latest addition to the bridle hoard (just think if I never sold bridles. omg.), I wanted to talk about the really obvious comparison between the Rambo Micklem Bridle and the the PS of Sweden High Jump bridle.

Here is what I absolutely love about both of these bridles: they completely reject "traditional" styling that's been basically unchanged for centuries and instead look at the anatomy of the horse's face. Which is better for what and why?

Here we go!

Bridle Comparison

sparkle browband not included

Availability and Price

Micklem

The first and most obvious question to answer is how does one acquire either of these lovely pieces--neither is American based. The Micklem was designed in England and is widely available in the US through major retailers. A new Micklem runs in the $200 neighborhood and includes reins.

No special knowledge is required to order and many tack stores have started to carry Micklems as they have picked up in popularity due to being legal in all USEF English-riding disciplines (dunno about driving, reining, or vaulting). They show up quite frequently in upper level eventing competitions.

cute bay horse not included

High Jump

A High Jump bridle isn't hard to acquire, but it takes a few more page clicks than a Micklem for the US-based audience. It is available through the PS of Sweden website here. Here's the thing: It's list price is $313 when using the English version of the site.

North Americans (and basically any non-Europeans) are exempt from the VAT tax, which means that when you look at your cart, the price excluding VAT is $250. Shipping to the US (via UPS 2 day) is $30, which puts you at $280 for a High Jump bridle with reins.

It's not rocket science, but your first overseas order can be confusing. Bonus, PS takes paypal, so no worries about converting currency or whatever. The internet is magic.

Leather Quality 

Micklem

To me, a bridle in the $200-300 range is pretty standard and I don't get my panties in a twist about whether or not it's the second coming of leather Jesus.

That said, not everyone is a bridle ho like I am.

The Micklem bridle has what I call "passable" or "workmanlike" leather. It's not pretty. It's not French. It gets the job done. I don't feel bad if I ride in the rain. Despite months of meticulous care by me, the Micklem never really got that "well broken in" feel I love in quality leather.

I don't worry about it falling apart, but I don't love handling it.

High Jump

Straight out of the package, I like the leather on this bridle more than I ever liked the Micklem. It still isn't Antares of course (dear god if they put Antares leather on PS designs I would die of happiness). The leather is soft and pliable. The padding is luxurious. It takes conditioner well and is already more pliable than either of the Micklems I had ever was.

The leather is nice enough. I'm going to grade it at "slightly better than Nunn Finer" and maaaaaybe whisper that a little bird told me they were planning to upgrade the leather this year. Time will tell if I can hold out and not get a new one when that happens.


cute head, but made like a block

Sizing and Fit

Micklem

One thing that has always bothered me with Micklem bridles is that they're pretty inflexible in terms of size. Your horse either has a Micklem-sized head or he doesn't. Period. I have no ties to the Rambo company and I don't know if they're working on this, but I've never been really impressed with this aspect of the Micklem.

In addition, the "jaw strap" always hits my horses funny. I get that the Micklem isn't supposed to be tightened down, but it just seems weird and uncomfortable to put it in the middle of the cheek. Now maybe my mileage would vary if my horse was more Micklem-sized (heh), but this is what I have to deal with. I do like that the awkward jaw strap kept the bridle cheeks well clear of the eyes, but there has to be a better way to do that.

For what it's worth, Courage always wears Cob size bridles and I ordered the same here. It was fine on the jaw strap and on the longest or second longest hole for the flash.That said, his muzzle is not his most delicate feature, so I'd say the bridle fits pretty true to size.

High Jump

Truth: even when I discounted the High Jump bridle as just a European take on the Micklem, I admired the fact that they found a way to make this concept adjustable. The "cavesson" is set on rolled leather, so it can move around to accommodate different faces. The strap behind the bit is similar to a conventional crank (except it fastens with a snap), so there are lots of length options.

The front strap actually buckles UNDER the chin instead of on the side. Admittedly, this makes it minorly more difficult to put on, but OMG then then buckle isn't catching my horse's lips constantly. Given that I want my bridle to fit my horse, I actually really love this feature.

Again, I ordered cob size for Courage because he always wears cob and he does fit in the cob. Buuuuuut if I were to order again, I think I'd do some measurements to see if he could rock the horse size. The browband and cheeks are fine, but due to the shape of Courage's face (I swear it's two parallel lines instead of something cuter), the noseband is on the very last holes.

Thus, if in doubt, I'd definitely size up.

DETAILS

Micklem

This is what really separates the wheat and chaff, folks.

Most bridles have two straps that run alongside the horse's face: the cheeks and the cavesson hangers. Straps make bulk. Bulk makes pressure. Pressure is what we're trying to alleviate here.

The Micklem deals with this problem by putting everything on the one strap. I mean, you've got to hand it to Rambo--the Micklem bridle has the least pieces of any bridle I've ever worked with.

HOWEVER that is exactly what keeps the Micklem from being adjustable. Everything goes where it goes and your horses either fits or doesn't.


The Micklem does a nice job with the comfort crown and I never had any trouble with it.

High Jump

This is where the High Jump blows it's competition out of the water.

To keep the flexibility in adjustment, the High Jump sports the usual two straps alongside the face, BUT it contours one to match the shape of the facial bones and then rolls the other to eliminate bulk.

It doesn't just have a comfort crown--the entire shape of the crown is designed to sit on the horse's head. The crown is what makes it so these bridles don't need throatlatches--they're so anatomic that they just stay put.

The High Jump adds great details like fancy stitching, the snap on browband, and the hidden elastic in the bit attachments and reins to incorporate a little more give for a softer ride on the horse.

Oh, AND while the Micklem reins are standard nasty rubber reins that I literally never used, the High Jump comes with rubber lined leather reins with hand stops. That are awesome.

And that brings us to...
spring=glorious outdoor pictures

FUNCTION

Micklem

The Micklem is an item that serves to hold the bit in the horse's mouth and attach the reins while interfering with the animal as little as possible. That is the goal of bridles and it certainly gets the job done. I'd like to say it's a magic bullet or some sort of miracle cure, but 99% of contact problems seem to have a lot more to do with training than any particular piece of equipment.

That said, the Micklem is gaining traction in the show world because it is another option for those fussy horses who like a little relief. I thought Courage went well in the Micklem I had for him. My very-traditional trainer didn't like it. I ended up selling it (to get my first ps) and now said trainer has a Micklem. So. It's making inroads.

I didn't think that the Micklem changed Courage's manners in the bridle in a substantive way, but he wasn't a horse who had huge issues to start with. I would absolutely LOVE to try this bridle on some horses from my past if I ever got the chance.
winter=blurry indoor pictures

High Jump

Everything the Micklem does, the High Jump does better. It's more anatomically correct, more detail-oriented, more fitted.

The High Jump bridle is currently USEF legal only for showjumping and the jumping phases of eventing. It has not been allowed in dressage just yet. That said, it's similar to the Micklem so if PS makes the push (greases the right palms?) as it gains traction in the US market, I wouldn't be surprised if it became legal.

I have not heard that they are working on that yet, but they're a git-er-done sort of a company, so I'll keep you posted if I hear more.

PS of Sweden High Jump Bridle

CONCLUSION

At this point, the Micklem is the cheaper, show legal option that is mildly more accessible in the US. That said, the High Jump bridle is a much higher quality piece of tack that is rapidly catching on around the world. I love how it fits my horse and I love looking at it, and it's not leaving my tack room any time soon.

I think it's a good option even for the average rider with a perfectly fine horse just because it's worthwhile to explore alternatives to the traditional. Yeah, maybe you won't like it, but maybe you will.

And maybe it won't be this innovation that makes a difference for you, but it's worth being open to ideas in case one of them does.

43 comments:

  1. Thank you for this great comparison! I hadn't even realizzed some of the differences between them - and now I want to try them both :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question about how you have the PS fitted: Why don't you have the flash strap snug against the bit to support it? If it's Micklem-esque, shouldn't have the "flash" supporting the bit? I've seen both you and Amanda with this bridle, and neither of you are really using it like that, making this a bit like an ineffectual flash rather than a drop.

    Also, for a rider learning to stabilize her hands, a drop or micklem can be a lifesaver. It mitigates the rider's instabilities, and helps a lot when working with a sensitive horse. Of course you can't use it forever, but while you and the horse are learning that bit support can be critical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I LOOOOOVE from PS? This strap collector. Depending on shipping, I would totally be all about this. Especially since I've been considering just using black braiding bands to help hold the straps of my drop to the cheek piece on my snaffle bridle. :)

      Delete
    2. I can't speak for SB but I personally don't like it snug against the bit, which is why I don't have it there. IMO anything touching the bit is something that could potentially pinch. I prefer it down lower in the chin groove to give a bit of space to the bit. Horse did not have a preference either way, FWIW.

      Delete
    3. I can understand the pinching worry. I've never had an issue with pinching with my drop, which is very snuggly fastened against the bit. I don't see a reason to use a bridle with a lower strap (flash, figure 8, micklem, drop) if you don't use it to support the bit in the mouth. Otherwise you're just subjecting yourself to tons of cleaning or the inevitable replacement when the leather finally rots away from saliva exposure.

      I dunno. It's not hurting anything, or bugging anyone. So, just my little pet peeve! :)

      Delete
    4. For me I'm not using the lower strap to support the bit, I'm using it to prevent the horse from gaping his mouth and rooting (a favorite habit of his). I don't make mine snug enough to actually keep the mouth SHUT, but it's there as a "this is as wide as it goes, mister" guideline. I've never had a problem with rotting on my flash/figure 8 bridles either, even the figure 8 I had for 8 years still looked great when I sold it. But I always wipe the slobber off mine after a ride, so it doesn't just sit on the leather.

      Delete
    5. Austen--interesting question. I ran through the PS instagram pictures and it looks like it's about 50/50 for fitting the lower strap close to the bit. I don't know if it's being used to support the bit at all. The European aesthetic seems to be more to tie the horse's mouth SHUT, but I don't know if that's a Swedish thing too. Or a rumor. Someone send me to Europe to inspect tack and I will definitively settle it for all of us.

      I don't use it up against the bit--the leather needs to stretch a little more before I probably can, since Courage is fitting on the large end of Cob size. I did fit the Micklem that way and didn't notice a difference in the way of going.

      As for rot, eh, I'm not convinced. Leather is just skin and my skin doesn't rot off just because it gets wet as long as I maintain it properly. Same for bridles. ;-)

      Delete
    6. Haha, well, your skin is always growing and sloughing off. Leather is preserved. ;) It will rot over time if you don't clean the saliva off regularly. Take my trainer's rein ends. They are trashed because she never cleans them. So, for lazy people, having a flash for no other reason than to have it there is just creating more work for yourself. That's all I was saying! :)

      My drop isn't rotting after two years of solid use, either. I do clean it after (almost!) every ride, though.

      Delete
    7. The purpose of the flash is not to support the bit, if it is doing that, both the noseband and the bit are fitted incorrectly. A simple wipe down of your tack after use will prevent rotting.

      Delete
    8. I don't think that the Micklem's "bottom strap" - not referred to as a flash by Micklem - is meant to be equivalent to the flash on a more "traditional" dressage bridle.
      The Micklem bottom strap is intended to stabilize the bit in the mouth (according to the designer) and avoid pressure on the bars, while a flash is intended to keep the mouth closed.

      Delete
    9. CFS is mostly correct. Before William Micklem made & marketed his bridle with Rambo, Eric Smiley made his own longeing cavesson with an almost identical design (the two are very good friends, I guess there's only so many Irish Olympic eventers, LOL). Since I rode Encore in his Micklem in our clinic with Eric (awesome guy if you get the chance! http://bit.ly/1sMV0QW), we talked about it quite a bit.

      Yes, the chin/bottom strap on the Micklem IS indeed designed to stabilize the bit. Tying a horse's mouth shut achieves little in the majority of cases, aside from reducing his ability to tell you something is not right.

      The higher jowl strap is to keep the cheekpieces away from the horses eyes.

      I actually like my Micklem A LOT more two years after regular use. The chin & jowl straps softened & stretched the PERFECT amount. The leather pad under the chin buckle prevents any pinching (even in Encore - OMG-IS-SOMETHING-TOUCHING-ME?!).

      Since Encore is a sensitive thing, I was shockingly, skeptically shocked at the immediate difference he showed to the bridle -- but all horses are different. Solo couldn't care less, his bridle is just basically a headstall anyway. I haven't put the cavesson back on since the last time he showed. But he also goes in a baucher b/c he insists on bit stability.

      A traditional flash is not designed to tie the mouth shut either. It was developed as a bastardization of a regular cavesson & a drop noseband, and the flash is also supposed to be adjusted as a bit support. The bastardization has just been bastardized, heh, by all the people who tighten it so I can see indentations in the horse's skin. Not. Cool.

      Here endeth the Irish head-thingies designer treatise, LOL.

      Delete
    10. Probably should have said "generally utilized" rather than intended lol, although that depends somewhat on where you do your research. (Sustainable Dressage for instance) :D

      Delete
  3. Great post! I've been looking at a Micklem and this is helpful. I will say in regards to the PS of Sweden bridle- the missing throatlatch does make me a little nervous.. if only because it seems that several horses have been losing their bridles over fences recently (who can forget this http://youtu.be/Df8oDx-KGXQ ), and I would be terrified of that happening to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sell a throatlatch attachment if you really want it. But I personally don't think a throatlatch really helps much with an "over the head" situation unless a ) the angle is JUST right, b) the throatlatch is adjusted too tight. I also agree with Aimee that the shape/fit of these bridles on the poll area is so superior that it makes them more "stuck in place" than your average bridle.

      Delete
    2. ;-) The Micklem doesn't actually have one either.

      And it's bridles WITH throatlatches that have been coming off.

      Delete
    3. True story. Eventers back in the day used to braid their crownpieces into the mane. THAT'LL keep your bridle on, if you're worried! :)

      Delete
  4. interesting - and great comparison!! i always really worry that these bridles would really overwhelm my mare's teeny tiny face... but they sure are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Aimee! I love the look of the PS High Jump and wonder how it would work/look with Cosmo's droop. Maybe some day I will find out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is excellent review of both. One thing I wanted to add was that the black leather on the Micklem is a much higher quality than the brown. Not sure why. I had the black and my boarder had the brown. Mine was very soft and more like a Vespucci bridle leather, while hers was not great quality.

    Interesting on sizes, the Cob dressage bridle just fits Penny - as in any bigger and it wouldn't. She must have the tiniest head!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The PS is growing on me. I love the idea of anatomical. But worry about pinching and sensitive lips and skin. And rubs. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courage is currently getting rubs from my spur-less boot, so he is definitely an authority on the subject. I'll keep you posted if I have any problems.

      Delete
  8. Really needed this post. I grabbed a Micklem last year and I like all the ideas of it, but because B is basically an appendix... he's got a block of a head and trying to fit it just right is difficult. My biggest problem is that I have to be picky with my bits because I hate cinching them up really tight (<- not a wrinkle fan) only because the constant pressure doesn't do Brantley any favors. I may keep working with it but it may end up on eBay and I'll eat $50 if I have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I would be really fascinated to see what he thought of the elastic inserts in the PS. They allow the bit to sit with very minimal pressure.

      Delete
  9. I agree with you on the micklem. I didn't care for the leather or the fit. Now a PS bridle....I need one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is soooo timely for me cause I'm currently debating wether or not to get a Micklem (post of my own coming soon) I just wish the high jump was dressage legal :(((((

    ReplyDelete
  11. My one complaint about the Micklem has been the leather quality. It really isn't great but the Micklem fits Loki really well and it has been a great bridle for us. I might be interested in trying the PS of Sweden someday when I have spare money and nothing else on my list but for now the Micklem is getting the job done. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saving all the monies, want so bad! Great comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous comparison, I had been wanting to try the Micklem on K for a while but didn't like the leather quality so never splurged. However I swoon at the PS bridles (and their prices as I'd have to pay full whack EU tax *gulp* & *sob*) - maybe once I get flat furnished and saddles checked...maybe after that I can set pennies aside for shiny bridle loves

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for this comparison. I am lusting after a PS of Sweden bridle and I love how in depth both you and Amanda (900fbpony) have gone to educate us on every aspect of the bridle!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You just keep convincing me more and more on these bridles.... Maybe if I keep checking the PS website the price will suddenly drop?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear, you're killing me with these PS of Sweden posts. I was kind of "eh" on the bridle, but this post basically just sold me on getting one someday. I love all the little extra details and the lack of the throatlatch, especially because of exactly what you said about the fit of it on the Micklem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's just so ugly... I have a thing against rolled leather though. I don't know if I could get past the ugly to see to the supposed anatomical benefits.

    I can get a bridle that has literally one strap and an ear piece if I'm ever worried about alleviating pressure. Generally they're used by western riders though, lol.

    I think the crown piece is the most interesting part of either bridle, as far as alleviating pressure or improving fit. I've never really use a noseband as anything more than a piece of jewelry though, I don't know if I've ever tightened one down tight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah....feeling very tempted by the PS of Sweden website at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I still think the PS bridles are some of the ugliest bridles I have ever seen haha. That being said, I will not argue against the quality. They do look very well made.

    My black Micklem is very soft and well broken in. I think someone above mentioned that the brown is not as nice quality, so that might be where you're getting it. I wouldn't say it's Nunn Finer quality, but it's close.

    I 100% agree on the 'your horse has a Micklem head or it doesn't'. Fiction does not have a Micklem head. We make it work, but there is a reason I don't show in it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post!! Thanks for doing this comparison. Took me a while to warm up to the look of the Micklem, and I think it will take a while for me to warm up to the PS, but the functionality of all the clips, the design doing a better job than the Micklem, and better leather encourages me to upgrade at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know that PS has in beetween Cob and full

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm going to join in the crowd and say thanks so much for doing this post. I haven't really been interested in either bridle, but this through comparison does make me feel if I was going to try one, it'd be a PS one. And it is actually making me sort of want to try one now!

    bonita of A Riding Habit

    ReplyDelete
  23. I definitely agree with other commenters that the black Micklem has much nicer leather than the brown -- everyone has their preferences though & I hate the super-soft French stuff. I like my leather sturdy, workmanlike, & well stitched -- Solo's Steubben (given to us, no way would I pay $300 for a bridle!!!) is the same way. The Micklem crown padding is also VERY nice & soft after some good sweating & wearing. I like everything to sit softly & loosely on the horse's head (agree on throatlatches, Solo shook off his whole bridle b/c of deerflies on a trail ride, I was bareback & barefoot-hey, he can't step on me when I'm on him & no way I was getting off in the middle of a field, so thank goodness he neck reins & is...Solo!)

    I do hate the reins, but I hate ALL rubber reins, they are too big & heavy. Everything I have is web with stops & all except one set just have the rubber woven into the web, so they are nice & light. Again, personal preference.

    I tried using the Micklem's bit clips too, for about 30 seconds, then I learned that Encore HATEZ nose pressure, LOL -- & agree that it could use some adjustability lengthwise. The horse size just barely fits Encore, but it'd be perfect if his head was just about 0.5" longer, haha. It does look quite handsome on him though & I also added my own browband with a subtle navy padding & stitch that I won in a raffle.

    Can't speak to the Swedish one, I find it very unappealing looking & I also never liked rolled leather, I had an old rolled dressage bridle when I first got Solo, for some reason it was harder to clean & Encore would've hated the harder feeling over a flat or padded strap. But that is the genius of good marketing, find an open niche & make it your own! Glad it's working out for y'all & the detailed breakdown is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with Eventer79, the Micklem is certainly more attractive. And one reason I like it is that it is easy to clean. The PS has too many straps! I also wonder if the PS is close enough in design to the Micklem that there are going to be patent issues.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The way the bit attaches to the Micklem really helps with horses that put tongue over or crunch the bit... the only reasons I would bother. The PS does not have that, which to me, defeats the purpose. The reason many people find their horse goes better in the Micklem is because you can NOT over tighten the noseband which so many people are guilty of.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Where did you find the price on the PS....website is 360 without reins??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That price was current when this post was written in early 2015. It has since gone up.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...