Thursday, February 23, 2017

Bones

One of us is a dinosaur. One of us is Sue.
Apparently, 8 weeks on your couch and then sloooooowly starting to person again is not a recipe for peak physical fitness or excellent riding. I was kind of hoping we could roll with the whole "my muscles are too useless to have muscle memory so let's forget those bad habits", but no, that would be too easy.

As my trainer pointed out, I know that I'm weak and unbalanced and useless (and Courage DEFINITELY knows), so I overcompensate by being tighter and trying harder and making it worse. I mean. That doesn't sound like me at all? Shut up.

I was struggle-busing my way through a lesson, which is mostly my trainer watching me walk my horse around while calling out "try not to fall off" and "take a break", when she said something that sort of rocked my world.

"Let your bones get into the right position and and your muscles can just support them".

whaaaa
Profound, no?

sigh yes this is a good moment now
And then we trotted a solid half circle like badasses.

And then I went home and laid on my couch.

But next time I'm strong enough to get on, I'm excited to build on that.

24 comments:

  1. It is so hard coming back physically when your mind is telling you that you should be able to do it. Take your time and listen to the professionals you are paying ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going slow is the hardest part. I want to be better NAOW not in... a long time away from now. Sorry, can't math right now.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it funny when your trainer says pretty much the exact same thing they always say, but in a whole new format and you're like OHHHHHHHHH. I like those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait wait wait ... that dino, is that THE Sue ... like the one behind all the controversy?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I read about him/her as a kid and now I've seen him/her in person. Now I want to google the controversy.

      Delete
  4. Hmm, I've never heard that way of talking about position either, that's a cool way of thinking about it. I can see how it could improve position while keeping more relaxed.
    *itching to try it myself now*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a paradigm shift that I look forward to exploring. Just not yesterday. And probably not today. Maybe not tomorrow either. This weekend?

      Delete
  5. Ohh, I like that way of thinking about it. My equitation is atrocious right now due to my non-existant riding schedule, maybe this thought process will help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of the same as the difference between toes up and heels down--externally, you're doing the same thing but the internal mechanics are different.

      Delete
  6. Love this!! Catherine Haddad has a similar message and I love watching her videos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trainer said she stole it from Sally Swift (I think?) so it's not original to her, but it's still excellent.

      Delete
  7. Now I've got "the leg bone is connected to the... knee bone" in my head. Thaaaaaanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "and the drinking bone's connected to the staying out all night long..."

      That one?

      Delete
  8. That's an interesting way to say that -- I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry. That sounds no fun. But the museum looks way fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Progress is progress and that's good in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Where did you get your right brown high jump revolution bridle? I was thinking of buyin them, but i dont know if they are available in finland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Let your bones fall into position." Ooh! I like that. I am going to borrow it for some of my lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always struggled with the "feel your weight equally in both seat bones..." from trainers...I would except there's like this 8" layer of padding that prevents me from being able to do so...any other suggestions??? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like your blog!!! Everything will be fine in the future. Love the museum pictures!!! Stay positive:)
    Jessi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...