Our goals for last month:
1) FORWARD. Read it. Do it. Live it. Until we have forward, we have nothing. One blog post a week addressing how I am researching and applying forward to our world.
Success!! Izzy is still a tiny bit sticky at the walk when I first get on, but she works out of it in just a few strides. Her walk is improved, her trot is amazing, her canter is coming along. I would say the weekly blog post accountability helped us, as did sorting out her physical issues last month. Very excited about this.
2) Cycle back into jumping. The first event derby is in May, so I need to get Izzy and myself comfortable doing 2'3"ish stuff, since our goal is intro beginner novice. (Lame, but I'm chicken.)
Well... we jumped twice, both times just 18" crossrails. It's a start. I'm feeling less rusty and more confident, though I'm going to continue to try to tweak the saddle situation to see if I can find something that will actually work for us.
3) Take a lesson in dressage.
Fail. Not entirely my fault, but still not a success. I tried to plan one several times, but it's a busy time of year for instructors and our schedules just weren't matching up. I am taking a jumping lesson this coming Friday. Hooray! Looking forward to that.
All in all, I'd call April a success. We made some definite and much-needed progress. Now, May goals.
1) Just jump it. Monica is making t-shirts and mine won't look out of place. Jump Izzy at least twice a week. Work on setting little gymnastics and combinations so we can work things out. Be comfortable over low verticals.
2) Conditioning--Work at least once a week on the track, weather permitting. In order to be competitive, we need to continue developing cardiac fitness.
3) Sitting trot. I've been doing it a little, but not nearly enough. Even time the dressage saddle is on, I'm going to spend some portion of the time sitting. Focus on engaging core and relaxing hips.
We can do it!