Friday, July 11, 2014

PSA: Loving all Six Legs

Six legs in flight
One of my favorite English teachers in college said, "How can you know what you think until you see what you say?"

And he's right. The great feature of being a regular blogger is that constant stream of information and updates that is easily accessible. I can watch my progress, yes, but I can also observe how I talk about my horse and how I'm feeling. I love my little man and I want him to succeed.






Definitely a horse thing
As a person with a giant eating, pooping pet that I like to dump money in to on a monthly  weekly daily hourly basis, I think it's really important to care for that pet. Love it, even. Horses are such an integral part of our lives because we choose to put them there.

Horses are great teachers of life lessons. We learn about hard work, humility, honesty, fun, safety, and thought processes. We learn to interact with another beautiful, powerful creature in a way that empowers both us and them. It's important to express in my writing that I adore him, instead of tearing him down and propping up my pride by blaming him for the fact that he's a horse and does horse things.







Can't have one without the other
I think it's important because I think this sport is way too damn dangerous to do any other way. I think it's important because if I"m going to spend this much money, I better be having the time of my life.

Most of all, though, I think it's important because I realize that my horse and that way I talk about him is a reflection of myself and the way I talk about me.












The best at snuggling his nose
I love watching other bloggers go through the same processes I do as we train and learn and laugh and cry together. It bothers me when they are negative about their horses, though. Not just because I frequently think it's unfair to the horse, but because I care about my blogger friends and I know it reflects on how they feel about themselves.

I know very few bloggers in person, so all I can see is what they say. Instead of tearing down our horses and disparaging ourselves, let's remember that we all get beat up by day to day life. There's no need to do it to ourselves.

It's time to love all six legs.

23 comments:

  1. YES!!! AMEN X 100. I also find it interesting to observe the way that riders talk TO their horses. There's a big difference in the way that horses respond to someone who is constantly calling them "dipshit" "idiot" "moron" "dumbass" etc., versus riders who use words like "buddy" "sweetheart" "dude" "pretty girl" "mama" etc. They may not be able to understand English, but they sure as heck understand our intentions and attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. I think this is important to keep in mind all the time, in all parts of your life. Lovely psa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My god, lady. I love this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Something we all should note!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) This is good. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Food for thought for sure. I adore my horse completely. He's not just a pet - he's family. But do I say so in my blog regularly? Directly or indirectly? I need to be mindful of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally. I call Apollo 'friend' as a pet name. :) And you know how much I adore that wonderful beast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! You are absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great post, and an awesome reminder. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You rock. What an awesome statement to put out there, and a good reminder for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope. Still going to publicly disparage my horse on my blog. Does not reflect on how we interact in real life, and it makes for better blog fodder. Doesn't bother me any if anyone actually thinks it's how I really feel about the tool bag that I own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post and so true!!!! When I was a kid all I could ever see was what my horse wasn't doing right and how she wasn't good enough.... I'm so glad I learned to stop doing that. It was not fair to her and it didn't make either of us happy. Luckily I matured and figured it out while I still had her so I was able to repair that relationship. I started off my relationship with Chrome right from the very beginning. Heck he can put no foot wrong as far as I'm concerned. He's perfect. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, what a great post! Everything you said is everything us "horse people" can understand. Non-horsey people just don't get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! And I love that first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh annoying I wrote a big comment and then it didn't post...

    so in a nut shell: I love these posts and how positive you are all the time, reminds me to do the same. That's why even though Wiz and I are going through a rough spot right now, I'm trying not to blame him or be negative about it (although plenty of rides frequently have left me wanting to cry), but instead I'm trying to sort through every possible cause and explanation and figure out how to make it better. Because he definitely has talent and I believe in him and DO want him to have every chance to succeed.

    But also, like you said, this sport is too expensive to not be having the time of our lives. So if we continue to work on it and I'm still left feeling scared and like he's too much for me, if I decide to sell him it won't be because I think he's crap or blaming him for anything- he is a horse after all doing horse things. But just the realization that he needs a different kind of rider than me, and that there's someone who can cultivate his talent better than I can. Although hopefully I'm never forced to make that decision, and we can get to the bottom of our 'thing'!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post, and so true. Even when we're going through an equine rough patch, horses are horses. They don't really know.... and there's almost always some root cause we just haven't figured out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...