Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Problem Pony Drives Me Batty

I managed to sneak in a ride Saturday morning before having to take off and do other things. Izzy was amazing. She started out with a proper rhythm, maintained it well, responded to what I was asking, and listened to my aids. I was so happy. Thrilled, even. We could walk, trot, and canter both directions, no trouble.

Then there was today. Izzy lunged well. She looked half asleep. As soon as I got on, she decided everything was scary. She spooked at a cone (A), which has been in the arena longer than she has. She had a blow up over another horse being tied up outside the arena. She spooked at God knows what in one of her usually safe spots. I finally decided that I just wasn't going to accomplish anything on this clear, beautiful, non-windy day and got off. As soon as my feet hit the ground, she tried to run off. Thankfully, she's tried it before and I was ready for her, but it was annoying. I remounted and dismounted about four times until she more or less stood. I would have just let her run, but someone had showed up to ride.

It's so frustrating, though. I know baby horses are like this, but still. This level of inconsistency? How can she go from best I've ever seen her to absolutely unrideable in one day? It's a good thing I don't have tons of money, or I really would have sent her to a trainer by now.

2 comments:

  1. I hate days like that! I think you did well getting off and not fighting her though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Izzy sounds a lot like Tucker. He has settled down a lot, so I'm pretty sure I can guess what he's going to do. Again the ulcers were a big factor in his erratic behavior.

    Sometimes it's just better to not pick a fight or make an issue of problems like this. I know how frustrated you are. I had my trainer ride Tuck in the shows for me for a season. It helped a little, but he still had my "number" when I got on....still does to some degree. Hard to say if a trainer would permanently cure Izzy of her behavior.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...