Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 2

That's right. Izzy got her second dose of gastro shield today. It's not a product I'm familiar with yet, but the other two horses at the barn who deal with ulcer issues are on it and doing very well. I'm going to do some more research and evaluate it later, but it's at least a stop gap for now. I feel woefully behind. I've barely been online and I'm not riding much. My grandma is not doing very well (she's still on hospice care), so my priorities have been away from the barn.

I did ride Izzy briefly today. We only had time for a half hour lesson, which was about enough for the both of us. She didn't repeat any of her antics from Sunday, but she was far from calm. We just did some walk, trot, canter each way and then called it good. She was quiet(ish), and relatively willing, so I let good enough be good enough and hopped off. I did turn her loose in the arena for a few minutes to let her run when we were done and I won't be able to get out to see her tomorrow.

I do lunge her every time I get her out. At the old place, I only lunged if I felt like I needed it, but I haven't gained that level of confidence with her here yet. Besides, we do not currently have turn out and I think it's vital for her brain to have some exercise that isn't strictly controlled. I'm trying to turn her out in the arena more often, but that's hard to do when other people are riding, obviously.

For feed, Izzy was getting about 3 big meaty flakes of grass alfalfa mix morning and evening, which meant she pretty much had food all the time. She got about 2 cups of grain (mixed corn and something) with a small scoop of vitamins in the morning. We've changed that (starting tomorrow) to a small amount of senior with vitamins, two scoops of gastro shield, and a small scoop of vitamins. I'm thinking the senior might be easier on her stomach than the grain... here's to hope.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your grandma Sprinkler. I'll be thinking about you. I'm sure Izzy understands why you've been away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She might be hot in part because of the grain: many feeds are very high in carbs - some of the senior feeds can be pretty high in carbs too, although others aren't - you'd have to do some research. She may need little or no grain if she's holding her weight with hay only.

    Very sorry to hear about your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sprinkler, there is a product called EGard that is a generic version of GastroGuard (so, much cheaper!). You can find it online.
    Also, feeding aloe vera juice and/or papaya has been shown to reduce stomach acids (you can get the aloe juice @ the grocery store & papaya mash in a product called Stomach Soother -- www.stomachsoother.com). So, maybe after you do a month-long course of GastroGuard, UlcerGuard, or EGard, you could use some more natural products to help keep Izzy's tummy happy.
    Also, Kate is right about the grain. My personal fave is Triple Crown Senior because it is extremely low in non-structural corbohydrates (which can make horses very hot). I had Salem on TC Senior and he was healthy, happy, and glowing!
    OK, sorry, to write such a novel, lol! Our thoughts are with you and your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about your Grandmother. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

    I am not a feed expert, but the alfalfa hay might be all she does need. I just switched my Boys over to Purina's Healthy Edge--lower carbs, higher fat. We'll see how things go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I will keep you guys in my thoughts.

    I think lunging her on a nearly daily basis is a great idea, especially if she isn't getting turn out. I find it often creates a good space where they are "allowed" to get some of the wiggles out and therefore she will be ready to do some work once you get on her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...