Yesterday: I lunged Izzy over the barrels again. Just to be clear, we started with ground poles and worked up quickly. She was great. Then, (gasp!) I got on to ride over them. It was super hot, so I wasn't wearing my lovely full seat breeches and I felt nervous and a little loose. Hm... not a great start. We trotted in right and she popped over. Good. We trotted in left and she tried to spin out. And again. And again. "Huh," I said to myself, "This is not working at all."
Instead of dismounting (easy) or quitting (bad), I did what I've seen Stephanie do so very many times when a horse is sticky--go for a gallop. Then stop. The point is to get the horse out in front of your leg, then test out the brakes, then just go for it.
And we did. Winning!
Today was a dressage ride. In view of our upcoming lesson (to which we even have a trailer ride now), I worked mostly on going forward, lengthening and shortening, and moving off my legs.
It's so hot... hope it cools off for Saturday.