Thursday, May 12, 2016

Quick Reviews: Show Equipment

There are lots of bloggers who write lots of helpful product reviews. Those things are super helpful if I'm shopping and super boring if I'm not. In the interst of being as non-boring as possible, here are some quick product reviews of some new stuff I used at the show.

1) FITS Zephyr Dressage Coat review

I found this on clearance for $100 and snagged it because I really, really wanted a four silver button coat with piping and something washable, stretchy, and breathable. This coat checks all the boxes. Wearing dark colors in the sun is wearing dark colors in the sun, but it was bearable, reasonably flattering, and actually fit my ridiculous ape arms. I have never liked a show coat before and I'm not sure I plan to start now, but for $100, I am very pleased.


2) Ogilvy Dressage Profile Pad review

I'm pretty sure both of my ogilvy pads are this model. Regardless, love love love this pad. Fits perfectly on C under my 18" dressage saddle and large Mattes half pad. Never moves, never wrinkles, never rubs. Thick enough to hold it's shape, thin enough to wash well. I wish all my saddle pads were ogilvy.
still going strong in our last test

3) Charles Owen Sparkle JR8 review

I've had this helmet for a while now but haven't worn it much once it broke in because I wanted to save it for shows/clinics/photo shoots.

Love it. I mean, it's just a spruced up JR8, so it's not all fancy and upgraded like other things on the market. I had a jr8 I loved for a couple years and I'm fine with the features and price point. It definitely stands out. I got a ton of compliments and if there were haters, they kept it to themselves. I will say the sparkle game is strong in the dressage crowd, so I wasn't the only one with a shiny helmet.

4) Horze Crescendo Kiana Breeches review

I hate hate hate wearing white breeches, so I didn't own any. I ended up with these through a trade on facebook. The detailing is cute and the fabric isn't see through.

I tried them one once a few months back and then wore them both days for the show. They held up great, didn't give me saggy ass, and smoothed things out reasonably well. I would buy these again no question.

There are some glaring holes in my wardrobe going forward--I need acceptable show gloves (realized morning of that everything I own is blue or brown) and I really need a good stock pin. Preferably with sparkles. I also want custom dress boots but LULZ $$$. Oh and a garment bag (and boot bag!) is starting to sound incredibly useful. Ideas?

18 comments:

  1. The tresdstep tall boots aren't custom, but beautifully fitted, for a very reasonable price tag new. Buttery soft, virtually zero breakin. Same with the more expensive Ariat Monacos (mor $$$ tho). I'm lusting after the Noble outfitters fancy bootbag. Style Stock for stocks and pins! Rockel gloves always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys looked so great in your show outfits! They sadly do not make the Ariat garment bag that I have, which is a shame because that thing is great and pretty much indestructible. I suggest something made of heavy canvass or other sturdy material, because you know that thing is going to just get chucked in your truck or dressing room at the end of a show day and end up being pretty abused. I have a Weatherbeeta boot bag for my precious DeNiro's that's soft and fleecy inside and does a nice job of protecting them from certain doom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Noble Outfitters bags look nice, but are kind of pricey. Tredstep boots are nice, but will not fit all legs, as in my experience the ankles are pretty close fitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snug ankles are what make them look custom-esque I think. Boots are a very individual, crap-shoot sort of investment...like all things horse riding apparel, haha!

      Delete
  4. Looove that sparkly helmet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tredstep boots fit me well. My only complaint is that I've had them for 9 months and they still haven't dropped. I can't zip them all the way up but no one has commented on that.

    I've been wanting to get the FITS jacket for my ape arms and it makes me super excited that it works for your ape arms. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever had a coat with long enough arms before. It's also nice and stretchy, so I didn't feel all claustrophobic and stuck, which was awesome.

      Delete
  6. I think you really killed it with your show outfit. It looked really, really nice. I especially loved the jacket, helmet and breeches. It was all very flattering and made a lovely, professional, well-put-together picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Woof Wear bags are super sturdy, I have one for my hemet, boots, and coat.

    If you're going for boots, get stiff boots. Don't get the super soft Ariats or Treadsteps... they're comfortable, yes, but they don't put you in the right place like actual dressage boots do. I'd take measurements and then look to see what companies carry non-custom boots that will work, or better yet, check out ebay and find some used. For me, the European brands are the only ones that come in a size tall enough and slim enough to buy something off-the-shelf, otherwise I would have had to go cu$$$tom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Long-time reader, first-time commenter here...
    1. I LOVE your show outfit :)
    2. My favorite stock pins are vintage brooches found on ebay/thrift stores. So much sparkle. I even bought a sparkly squirrel pin that my trainer wears as a stock pin on her horse nicknamed "The Squirrel."

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've been eyeing up garment bags on ebay and consignment shops lately too. seems like a solid organizational strategy. also i love your jacket / helmet combo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, share your finds of stock pins! I'm in the market for sparkle, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like my Kensington Garment and Boot bags. I also have the helmet bag, but I end up just using my SmartPak monogramed one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought your outfit was ON POINT. I saw the pics and was like "DAMN HOME GIRL CLEANS UP GOOD" lol <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE LOVE Horze breeches. I've got a long wishlist of breeches from them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use magnetic number holders as a stock pin. Mine are blue sapphire crystals on a super strong magnet. Bonus - I don't stab myself in the throat or chest trying to get them on. Also, you get four for 12 bucks and since I lose them all the time I can just stick more in pockets.

    For white gloves I wear Neumann's. I guess I'm showing my age but that's just what I've always worn and I love how clean they come when I toss them in the washing machine with my show pads.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got that coat for Christmas, but the fit was just wrong for me. I tried so hard to make it work because it is a very clever coat. Glad it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...